Bocconotto Montoriese Grape cake in a magic ‘ box’
What to buy

The tradition dates back to around the end of the eighteenth century and the beginning of the nineteenth. But the roots of the Bocconotto go right back to the sixteenth century, to the work of that real genius Bartolomeo Scappi, secret cook for three popes and author of the superb “Treatise on the art of cooking”. It is here that Scappi records his recipes for the queen of pastries – ‘puff pastry’ and ‘shortcrust pastry’ and the role of the latter as ‘casing’ for a huge range of sweet and savoury fillings. However, the word Bocconotto itself, and in the local vernacular, first appears in Domenico Bielli’s Abruzzo Dictionary of 1930: “ buccunotte: small round cake filled with honey, custard, chocolate ..”. The Montoriese version is “ king” of a castle and sets the standard for cake-making. Montorio is the homeland of “cakes for newlyweds”, a dream for any sweet tooth and includes the satrapica or “sweet pizza”. This is a delicious synthesis of all the cakes of the area, with a filling centred around grape jam (made with late season grapes from the Teramo hills). And although everyone makes their own Bocconotto at home, the “typical” version, the original (for which a standard regulation recipe is soon to be approved), is ffered in 8 artisan bakeries. Each proudly markets their “classic” Bocconotto, showing how each has unearthed a different variation. In so doing they offer anyone on a food-tour of Montorio guaranteed enjoyment, rowned with plenty of “sweet” surprises.

Where & what

This time we offer a classic itinerary to discover the “gateway to the Park,” a vocation that Montorio celebrates every year with an event in late August. The sixteenth century Collegiate of San Rocco overlooks the old market square, now Piazza Orsini. Inside there are four monumental painted and gilded wooden altars (XVII and XVIII century) and two precious paintings of the era, one from 1530 depicting the Resurrection and the other, dating back to 1607, of the Last Supper. Also in the square is the Palazzo Marchesale Camponeschi-Carafa, with a portal and remnants of frescoes dating back to the 1500s. Walking along Via del Forte you will reach the top of a hill where the ruins of Fort San Carlo endure, a bastion erected in 1686, intended to suppress bandit companies, however it was never completed. The church of Church di Sant’Antonio (XV century), the Church degli Zoccolanti (1755), the sixteenth century convent dei Cappuccini with the cloister, and the small Church of the Madonna del Ponte are also worth seeing. There are the remains of a rare temple dedicated to Hercules situated along the Vomano River.

Panificio “Panetta Romeo”
Largo Rosciano, 20, 64046
Tel. +39 (0)861 501986